U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security, Department of State

Can Congressman Peters help me?

My office is able to assist San Diegans with immigration concerns. As we address your concerns, please bear in mind that we cannot force an agency to act in your favor.  The rules of the U.S. House of Representatives do not allow us to intervene in, or influence the outcome of, cases that are under the jurisdiction of any court.  Finally, our office cannot intervene in matters under the jurisdiction of local, state, or foreign governments.


We can help you:

  • Provide a Letter of Consideration for non-immigrant visa applications in advance of the interview at the Embassy or Consulate (if provided with at least 2 weeks notice)
  • Facilitate communication between our constituent and the Embassy or Consulate (either U.S. or foreign)
  • Request a status update on your pending application
  • Request expedited review of your application only if you qualify, and provide supporting documentation, for one of USCIS’s expedite criteria

We cannot:

  • Cannot force an agency to approve a visa or revoke a visa
  • Cannot expedite a green card unless it is a reissue
  • Cannot request a status update nor request expedite on a pending EAD within 45 business days of the filing date
  • Cannot request an expedited review your application unless you qualify, and provide supporting documentation, for one of USCIS’s expedite criteria
  • Cannot force USCIS to expedite your application 



The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Offices in California (USCIS)

There are USCIS offices throughout the state of California.  Go to the USCIS Office Locator to find the Immigration office that services your area.

PLEASE NOTE: In order to visit these offices and speak with an Immigration Information Officer, you must have an appointment scheduled by USCIS, or you must schedule an INFOPASS appointment.

Below are some frequently asked questions about immigration. If you need additional assistance, please contact my office at 858-455-5550.

Immigration FAQ

What is the current status of my visa application?

For current application status type in a receipt number at  My USCIS - Case Status.  Here USCIS will give you the most recent action taken regarding the application in reference.

Return to Top
How long will it take to process my application?

For estimated time frames, visit  USCIS Processing Time Information and select the current office with which your application resides.  Then, look for your form # on the left hand side of the chart, and estimated processing times for such form are listed in the right hand column.

Return to Top
How do I know which office my application is with?

The office which is currently reviewing your application is indicated by the first 3 letters of the receipt number:

  • WAC or CSC- California Service Center
  • LIN or NSC- Nebraska Service Center
  • SRC, SSC or TSC – Texas Service Center
  • EAC or VSC – Vermont Service Center
  • MSC or NBC – National Benefits Center

If your application has 3 letters not identified above, please contact my office staff who would be happy to assist in providing the information.

Return to Top
What will it take to expedite my application?

USCIS reviews all expedite requests on a case by case basis.  The following website lists the criteria for which an expedite request is considered: USCIS Expedite Criteria

Return to Top
How can I speak with an agent at USCIS?

In order to speak with an Immigration Information Officer, you may schedule an INFOPASS Appointment at the local USCIS office.  The San Diego office is located in downtown San Diego at 1325 Front Street. San Diego, CA 92101.  You can also go to the USCIS Office Location to identify the Immigration Office which serves your area.

Return to Top