Help With Federal Agencies

One of my most important jobs is helping San Diegans navigate the federal bureaucracy. We can help cut through red tape to get San Diegans answers and the benefits they have earned. If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

San Diegans living in the 50th Congressional District can contact me for assistance in dealing with federal agencies. If you are experiencing an issue with a federal agency not listed below, please continue to our privacy act waiver for a full list of agencies.


NOTE: Some federal agencies may require a wet signature in addition to the digital form linked below. A member of our staff will contact you if a wet signature is needed to process your request. 


If the person who needs assistance is under 18 years old, a parent or legal guardian must fill out the form with their own information. The minor's information can be included in the description of the privacy act waiver.

  • Support for homeowners, renters, and those who are homeless, or are at risk of losing their home.
  • Learn about free tax help and resources available in San Diego.
  • Navigating Medicare Part A, Medicare Part B, Medicare Part D Prescription Coverage, and Medicare Advantage coverage.
  • Get answers about benefits available to you and your family.
  • Access the services and benefits you have earned.
  • Links to various federal education resources, including links to the U.S. Department of Education.
  • How to apply for a passport, resources for traveling abroad and contact information for emergencies that may arise overseas.
  • Access the services and benefits you have earned.