Since 2013


Congressman Scott Peters

Representing the 52nd District of California


Department of Defense

Can Congressman Peters help me?

My office is able to assist San Diego's active duty servicemembers access the benefits they earned through their service. 

We can help you:

  • Assistance with your federal benefits as an Active Duty Servicemember
  • Obtain an official response from an agency or branch of the military regarding your concern
  • Facilitate communication between you and the DOD regarding a contract, grant, etc.
  • Request a status update on an application for correction to military record
  • Request copies of your military records
  • Check in on the status of your security clearance or background investigation
  • Request correction / obtain clarification with regards to the Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS)

We cannot:

  • Cannot overturn an agency’s decision or force an agency or individual to take a specific action on your behalf
  • Cannot get involved in legal matters and matters before the jurisdictions of any courts

To begin the process, please complete, print & sign the privacy release form below. Completed forms should be emailed to or mailed to our office at 4350 Executive Dr., Suite 105, San Diego, 92121. Once we have the form, we can begin to work on your case. 

As we address your concerns, please bear in mind that we cannot force an agency to act in your favor.  The rules of the U.S. House of Representatives do not allow us to intervene in, or influence the outcome of, cases that are under the jurisdiction of any court.  Finally, our office cannot intervene in matters under the jurisdiction of local, state, or foreign governments.

Below are some frequently asked questions about the military benefits. If that does not answer your question, click below to request help from our office. We look forward to helping you! 



 Military Frequently Asked Questions

For general questions regarding the Department of Defense, see the DOD's Frequently Asked Questions page

Expand all
Collapse all

I am a DoD employee and have questions about my pay. Where should I go?

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) provides payment services to the U.S. Department of Defense, including military and civilian personnel, as well as major DoD contractors and vendors. DFAS also establishes, maintains and pays military retirees, their surviving spouses and other family members.

I am retired military or an annuitant with questions about pay and benefits. Which agency should I contact?

A quick reference guide is available through the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).

DFAS Retired and Annuitant (R&A) Pay establish and maintain military retired pay, annuity accounts, and issue monthly payments to both military retirees and their eligible survivors, including the following:

  • Regular and Reserve Retirement payments
  • Temporary and Permanent Disability Retirement payments
  • Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay
  • Combat Related Special Compensation payments
  • Survivor Benefit Plan

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides services to former members of the military, not just those who are retired from the military. If you are disabled, the VA establishes your level of disability compensation, and handles any changes or updates. These include:

  • Additional (tax-free) benefit for veterans injured while in the service
  • Ratings for service-connected disability codes
  • Ratings for Special Monthly Compensation
  • Individual Unemployment ratings
  • Re-rating you if you feel your disability has increased

The VA also administers pensions, educational programs, home loans, life insurance, vocational rehabilitation, survivors’ benefits, medical benefits and burial benefits.


The ArmyNavyMarine Corps and Air Force assist in the transition from active duty to retired life and make determinations for some entitlement programs; such as Combat-Related Special Compensation. The branches issue your retirement orders. Remember, you MUST have retirement orders from your branch of service before we can establish your military retired pay account.

Please contact your Branch of Service for assistance with the following items:

  • CRSC eligibility determinations
  • Applying for retirement
  • Retirement orders

I am a uniformed service member and have questions on my healthcare plan. Where do I find more information?

Visit the TRICARE website at TRICARE is the health care program for uniformed service members and their families. This includes:

  • U.S. Navy
  • U.S. Marine Corps
  • U.S. Coast Guard
  • U.S. Army
  • U.S. Air Force
  • The Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service
  • The Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

TRICARE provides comprehensive coverage to all beneficiaries, including:

How do I access military family support services?

Military OneSource is a no cost, confidential Department of Defense-funded program providing comprehensive information on every aspect of military life. Their 24/7 support services include:

  • Deployment
  • Reunion
  • Relationship
  • Grief
  • Spouse employment
  • Education
  • Parenting and childhood services

How do I access sexual assault prevention and response services?

The Department of Defense Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office (SAPRO) is responsible for oversight of the Department's sexual assault policy. SAPRO works hand-in-hand with the Services and the civilian community to develop and implement innovative prevention and response programs.

SAPRO offers both Prevention Resources and Victim Assistance.

Witnesses to sexual assault or other crimes on military installations should contact the Victim and Witness Assistance Council (VWAC). VWAC facilitates the dissemination of information and resources in support of providing assistance to victims and witnesses of crimes on military installations.

Where can I find general information regarding the branches of our Armed Forces?