Department of Education

Can Congressman Peters help me?

My office is able to assist San Diego students with loan application and management. As we address your concerns, please keep in mind that we cannot force an agency to act in your favor.  The rules of the U.S. House of Representatives do not allow us to intervene in, or influence the outcome of, cases that are under the jurisdiction of any court.  Finally, our office cannot intervene in matters under the jurisdiction of local, state, or foreign governments.


We can help you:

  • Serve as a liaison between our constituent and the federal agency
  • Request updates on open or pending applications or loans
  • Obtain details about repayment plans that may be available to you
  • Assist institutes of learning with accreditation and other federal issues

We cannot:

  • Cannot force the change/decrease/forgive a student loan or interest rate
  • Cannot force a loan servicer to change/decrease/forgive a student loan or interest rate
  • Cannot force the Department of Education or your servicer to change your default status


Below are some useful links and information regarding student loans. If you need additional assistance, please contact my office at 858-455-5550.

Student Loan FAQ

Can your office help me get my student loans forgiven or discharged?

While my office can make an inquiry on your behalf about the status of a pending case, or for clarification on the reasons for a denial, it would be inappropriate for me to compel any agency to decide an issue in your favor, or to overturn a decision that is final.

Return to Top
I’m having trouble repaying my student loans, what should I do?

There are several ways to keep your loans from accruing interest or going into default if you’re having trouble affording your payments:

  • Consolidation: Combine multiple loans from different lenders into one single loan to allow you to stretch out the period of time you make payments and lower your payment.
  • Income-driven repayment: Allows you to form payments based on your income.
  • Reaffirmation: You've received a loan amount in excess of an annual or aggregate loan limit and need to repay the amount according to the terms of the promissory note.
  • Repayment Plan Request: For Direct Loans only. Plans you request on this form allow you to stretch out the period of time you make payments, which can lower your payment. You will pay less per month, but you will probably increase the amount you pay over the life of the loan.
  • Deferment or Forbearance: You won't have to make a payment, but you usually will not be making progress toward forgiveness or paying back your loan. If you have unsubsidized loans and don't pay interest during deferment, it may be capitalized (added to your principal balance), and the amount you pay in the future will be higher.

To apply to any of these options, contact your loan servicer first. To access forms, go to:

Return to Top
Do I qualify for student loan forgiveness?

If you are ready to apply for loan forgiveness, contact your loan servicer. If you don’t know who your loan servicer is, visit: . If you have a Federal Perkins Loan, contact the school where you received a Federal Perkins Loan. 

Return to Top
Can I stop paying my student loans if I’m applying for discharge?

Until your student loan discharge is approved, you need to continue paying your student loans or you will start accruing additional interest or go into default.

Return to Top
I’m a Public Service Employee; do I qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)?

Full-time Employment (at least 30hrs/week) with the following types of organizations qualifies for PSLF:

  • Government organizations (federal, state, local, tribal)
  • Not-for-profit organizations that are tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
  • AmeriCorps or Peace Corps (serving in a full-time position)

And, who have made 120 qualifying monthly. A qualifying monthly payment is a payment that you make:

  • after October 1, 2007;
  • under a qualifying repayment plan (income-drive repayment or 10-year standard repayment);
  • for the full amount due as shown on your bill;
  • no later than 15 days after your due date; and
  • while you are employed full-time by a qualifying employer.
Return to Top