Rep. Peters Leads Collaborative Effort to Bring More Homelessness Resources to San Diego
August 10, 2016
Today, Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) gathered local leaders to announce how San Diego’s homeless service providers and elected leaders are working together to make the best case for San Diego to get more of its fair share of federal homelessness resources. After a breakthrough announced by Congressman Peters last month, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is seeking feedback on four options to replace an existing, outdated formula that is used to distribute homelessness resources and has disadvantaged San Diego.
“Ending homelessness in San Diego is a bold goal that can only be achieved if we receive our fair share of resources,” Rep. Peters said. “These four options take into account a number of factors, from poverty to the availability and affordability of housing and rentals, which better measure a city’s need and how hard it is for a struggling family to find a place to live. As important a step as the reopening of the formula is, there is still a lot of work ahead. Now, we must work together to prepare a response to HUD that demonstrates our expertise and gives us a formula that works for everyone.”
Service organizations, housing providers, and local leaders have the opportunity to weigh in on the potential replacements for the formula during the public comment period that opened on July 21st and lasts 60 days. Congressman Peters was joined today by Mayor Kevin Faulconer, Councilmember Todd Gloria, Chairman of the County Board of Supervisors Ron Roberts, former Mayor and current President and CEO of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce Jerry Sanders, and Bill Bolstad of Father Joe’s Villages to demonstrate how San Diego is working collaboratively to respond to HUD and take advantage of this opportunity to bring additional resources to San Diego to help the homeless.
“I thank Congressman Scott Peters for his leadership on having the formula for homeless program funding reevaluated to give San Diego a chance to get our fair share of federal resources,” said Councilmember Todd Gloria. “San Diego has made progress in adopting best practices locally to end homelessness, and an updated formula that allocates funding based on need is critical to our success. It is vital that our region’s agencies coordinate to put the best recommendation forward and I commit to collaborating in that effort through the Regional Continuum of Care Council.”
Congressman Peters first contacted HUD about the formula in March of 2013 after a report found that in 2012, despite having the third largest homeless population in the country, San Diego received the 18th highest level of federal homelessness funding.
Timeline of Congressman Peters’ advocacy to change the funding formula:
- March 2013: Sent a letter to then-HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan advocating for an update to the Continuum of Care funding formula
- November 2013: Sent letter with Representatives Vargas (CA-51) and Davis (CA-53) asking for a comment period to make revisions to the funding formula
- September 2014: Sent letter to HUD Secretary Castro advocating for a funding formula update
- January 2015: Met, and advocated for an update to the funding formula, with Assistant Secretary of Veterans Affairs Chris O’Connor when Assistant Secretary O’Connor was in San Diego for the annual WeAllCount
- February 2015: Call with officials from HUD and the Department of Veterans Affairs to discuss ending veterans homelessness and revising the outdated federal funding formula
- May 2015: Met with Secretary Castro on Capitol Hill to discuss the funding formula disparity and to advocate for an update, and the chance for San Diego input on the process
- June 2015: Had a call with Secretary Castro to continue advocating for an update to the funding formula
- October 2015: During a visit to San Diego, Secretary Castro announced his intention to reopen public comment on the funding formula
- February 2016: Sponsored an amendment to H.R. 3700 requiring the HUD Secretary to reopen the public comment period on the Continuum of Care funding formula.
- May 2016: Announced commitment from Secretary Castro to reopen public comment period on formula no later than June 21st.
- June 2016: Spoke with Secretary Castro about his plan to provide detailed approaches to replace the formula by mid-July.
- July 2016: Announced the opening of the public comment period on four potential replacements for the formula.