Speaker appoints Rep. Peters to Joint Economic Committee
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Scott Peters (CA-52) released the following statement after Speaker Nancy Pelosi formally named him as one of six House Members to serve on the Joint Economic Committee, a bicameral committee in which members of both the Senate and House of Representatives participate:
“This appointment provides an opportunity to address the most consequential issues facing our national economy today and in the future, which is crucial as the United States navigates and emerges from the economic crisis caused by COVID-19.
“In the coming years, this Committee will play a unique role in fiscal policy to put our economy on sound fiscal ground and make capitalism work for everyone. We will draw on evidence and expert opinion to construct forward-thinking and inclusive solutions to get the country’s economy back on track after COVID, and then Congress must tackle our growing federal debt on a bipartisan basis.
“I look forward to working with Chairman Beyer and my fellow committee members from both Chambers as we dig into these big and urgent problems ahead of us.”
One of four standing committees in the United States Congress, the Joint Economic Committee (JEC) was established in 1946 to advise Congress on the state of the economy and suggest improvements in economic policy. The Joint Economic Committee holds separate annual hearings on the U.S. economy with the Chair of the President’s Council of Economic Advisers and the Chair of the Federal Reserve.
Members of the Joint Economic Committee for the 117th Congress include:
- Representative Don Beyer (D-VA-08) - Chair-designate
- Representative David Trone (D-MD-06)
- Representative Joyce Beatty (D-OH-03)
- Representative Mark Pocan (D-WI-02)
- Representative Scott Peters (D-CA-52)
- Representative Sharice Davids (D-KS-03)
- Representative David Schweikert (R-AZ-06)
- Representative Darin LaHood (R-IL-18)
- Representative Jamie Herrera Beutler (R-WA-03)
- Representative Ron Estes (R-KS-04)
- Senator Martin Heinrich (D-NM) – Vice Chair-designate
- Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
- Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH)
- Senator Mark Kelly (D-AZ)
- Senator Raphael Warnock (D-GA)
- Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) – Ranking Member-designate
- Senator Tom Cotton (R-AK)
- Senator Rob Portman (R-OH)
- Senator Bill Cassidy, M.D. (R-LA)
- Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX)
Rep. Peters remains on the House Energy and Commerce Committee with elevated seniority during the 117th Congress and was recently appointed Vice Chair of the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee. He also continues to serve on the House Budget Committee.