In the News
Poway News Chieftain/ Rancho Bernardo New Journal: Local students among 29 to receive service academy nominations
March 15, 2023
By Elizabeth Marie Himchak
Nine Poway Unified students and another from Maranatha Christian High School were among 29 students Rep. Scott Peters has nominated to a service academy.
The students applied for their nominations last fall and were selected as the 50th Congressional District’s most qualified following an interview with Peters’ Service Academy Nominations Board, according to his office.
The board included former academy graduates, a former high school counselor, a former academy liaison and a retired Marine Corps major general.
If accepted to a service academy, the students will be required to serve a minimum of five years in the military following graduation from the U.S. Military Academy West Point, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, U.S. Naval Academy and the U.S. Air Force Academy.
“This is one of my favorite duties as a member of Congress — helping select the future leaders of our Armed Services,” Peters said. “This group of exceptional students from San Diego will continue our local military and veteran history.
“The parents of these nominees should be extremely proud of the extraordinary, service-minded and patriotic young Americans they have raised,” Peters said. “Congratulations to all.”
Some students received a nomination to more than one service academy. Peters nominated 10 to West Point, nine to Annapolis, seven to the Merchant Marines Academy and 10 to the Air Force.
The Poway Unified School District students are:
• Mateo Aguilera of Rancho Bernardo High School to the U.S. Air Force Academy.
• Julia Bell of Poway High School to the U.S. Naval Academy.
• Emily Hauw of Westview High School to the U.S. Air Force Academy.
• Benjamin Koziner of Poway High School to the U.S. Naval Academy.
• Junho Lim of Westview High School to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
• Colson Montgomery of Mt. Carmel High School to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
• Aidan Stewart of Mt. Carmel High School to the U.S. Military Academy West Point and the U.S. Naval Academy.
• Matteo Tumini of Rancho Bernardo High School to the U.S. Military Academy West Point.
• James Wagenseller of Poway High School to the U.S. Military Academy West Point.
In addition, Josef Wittig of Maranatha Christian High School was nominated to the U.S. Air Force Academy.