Since 2013


Congressman Scott Peters

Representing the 52nd District of California

Traveling Abroad & Passports

Department of State & San Diego Passport Agency 

Can Congressman Peters help me?

My office is able to assist San Diegans with passport concerns. We may be able to help you expedite your passport application in an emergency, report lost passports, and monitor overseas travel restrictions.

We can help you:

  • Obtain status updates on current/pending passport applications
  • Reporting and/or replacing a lost / stolen passport
  • Traveling in the immediate future and require your passport expedited

We cannot:

  • Force an agency to expedite your application
  • Override the agency’s parental notification rules for minors applying for passports
  • Override the agency’s guidelines regarding eligible documentation required for a passport application

To begin the process, please complete, print & sign the privacy release form below. Completed forms should be emailed to or mailed to our office at 4350 Executive Dr., Suite 105, San Diego, CA 92121.  Once we have the form, we can begin to work on your case. 

As we address your concerns, please bear in mind that we cannot force an agency to act in your favor.  The rules of the U.S. House of Representatives do not allow us to intervene in, or influence the outcome of, cases that are under the jurisdiction of any court.  Finally, our office cannot intervene in matters under the jurisdiction of local, state, or foreign governments.

Below are some frequently asked questions about passports. If that does not answer your question, click below to request help from our office. We look forward to helping you!


For general questions regarding the State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs passport services, see the State Department's Frequently Asked Questions about Passports web page. For local resources, visit the San Diego Passport Agency website. 


Passport Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all
Collapse all

I am an adult and do not have a passport and would like to obtain one for the first time. How do I do this?

Applicants must apply in person at an Acceptance Facility.
Applicants are required to bring the following when they apply in person:

Completed DS-11 Form

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

Proof of Identity (and photocopy of ID)

Recent Color Photograph (meeting passport photo guidelines)

Associated Fees

You may find a comprehensive guide to the application process on the State Department’s Passport Page here.

I am 16 or 17 years old or my child is 16 or 17 years old and would like to apply for a passport. Is the process different from the adult application process?

Applicants who are 16 or 17 years old apply in the same fashion as an adult, however, they are strongly encouraged (but not required) to additionally show Parental Awareness.

You can find more detail about what constitutes Parental Awareness here.

I am a minor younger than 16 years old or my child is younger than 16 years old and would like to apply for a passport. What is the process?

Applicants must provide the same documentation as an adult applying for the first time with a few additional materials. They must submit documentation listing the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child. Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport. It is recommended that both parents/guardians accompany the child in person when the child applies, however, if this is not possible, there are other options here.

I would like to renew my passport. How do I do this?

You may renew your Passport by mail if you meet certain requirements. See more details here.

If you do not meet these requirements, you must apply in person in the same fashion as a first-time applicant (see above).

My passport was lost or stolen. How do I request a new one?

First, you must report the lost or stolen passport. You may report it online, by mail, or by phone. You may find the details of each option here.

I need to change my name on my passport / or my passport has a spelling error on it. How can I fix this?

Please visit the State Department’s page here to find how best to correct your passport.

I am traveling internationally in the next two weeks. How can I obtain my passport in time to travel?

Call the San Diego Passport Agency at 1-877-487-2778, inform them of your upcoming travel plans, and request an appointment.

Note: You will be required to bring proof of your upcoming international travel to the appointment.

I am a transgender American applying for a passport. What should I know?

The State Department has made it a priority to respect the identity of Americans applying for passports and offers two different kinds of passports to folks depending on where they are in their gender transition. More details can be found here.

Where is my passport? I have already paid all applicable fees but do not know when to expect my passport and would like an update.

Call our office and ask to speak with my staff. We work with Congressional Liaisons at the processing centers and can check where the passport is and can confirm when it will arrive to you.