Last week, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) gave an address to University of California San Diego (UCSD) students and faculty as part of a speaker series on college affordability hosted by the UCSD Office of External Affairs. During the speech, Congressman Peters announced that he will release an education plan to expand opportunity and drive economic growth in San Diego and across the country.
Jobs & Economy
Representative Scott Peters Working to Spur Growth for San Diego’s Economy
San Diego, and our country as a whole, is still recovering from one of the toughest recessions in America’s history. Stimulating job creation and economic growth is paramount on our path to recovery. In order to expand economic opportunities for the middle class and plan for a prosperous future, we must bolster the pillars of the San Diego economic engine: innovation and scientific research; the military, defense, and our veterans; and our world-renowned tourism industry. Read my full plan – “Growing the Economy and Creating Jobs in San Diego and Across the Country” – HERE
Advancing the Innovation Economy, Scientific Research, & San Diego’s Talent-Rich Environment
San Diego is home to numerous innovative companies and research institutions. We must engage the bevy of talented institutions to drive our economy forward. In 2013, our institutions compiled $785M in National Institutes of Health (NIH) awards, which encompassed nearly one fourth of California’s total. The following has been done to accomplish this goal:
- I hosted successful roundtables and symposia with community and business leaders to discuss how Washington can support San Diego’s Innovation Economy.
- Introduced the Igniting American Research Act which will expand and make permanent the Research and Development Tax Credit. According to the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, the act will generate 150,000 jobs and increase GDP by $66B.
- As a member of the Congressional Caucus on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, I introduced a resolution for one day each year as National Entrepreneur’s Day in memory of San Diego Innovator, Duane Roth.
- Support the repeal of the medical device excise tax, which will aid an industry that employs 3,200 San Diegans and delivers an economic impact of $2.629 billion dollars each year to the economy.
- I was awarded the 2014 Visionary Award by the non-partisan California Healthcare Institute (CHI) for introducing the Health Savings Through Technology Act which will facilitate the incorporation of wireless health technologies into federal health care programs.
- I am leading an initiative to increase NIH funding by nearly $5 billion to reach the level of $35 billion in coming years. Research by the Milken Institute suggests that $1 of NIH funding in biomedical research generates $2.21 in economic output.
Ensure Benefits and Growth Opportunities for Military and Veterans
The San Diego region is home to one of the largest concentrations of military force in the entire world. In the region, the military supports 317,000 jobs and $38.7 billion in gross regional product. As a member of the House Armed Services Committee, I advocate for the men and women who serve, and for the 225,000 veterans in the County.
- Introduced the 21st Century Care for Military and Veterans act to expand coverage of telehealth to servicemembers, veterans, and their dependents by including wireless services in the TRICARE and VA health systems.
- Introduced the Department of Defense Energy Security Act which will help the DOD reduce energy use, boost combat effectiveness, and expedite the development of advanced military technologies. The Navy is exploring alternative fuel sources, including biofuels such as algae, and San Diego---a national center for algae research--- is in strong position to benefit.
- Introduced the Veterans Employment Transition Act, which will give employers a tax credit for hiring recently discharged veterans, and will improve job training programs between the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), Department of Defense, and the Department of Labor.
- Voted to enhance VA on-the-job training programs to create an office within the VA focused on vocational and education programs, and to support federal contracting with small businesses that are owned by veterans.
Generate Economic Growth by Stimulating Tourism
I understand the importance of the tourism industry to the San Diego economy. Each year, over 33 million people visit our district to enjoy the weather, natural beauty, and abundant local attractions. That’s why I advocate for legislation that will support the flourishing tourism industry which accounts for 158,000 San Diego jobs.
- I supported legislation to expedite the visa interview process which will increase the number of international tourists visiting the United States, many of whom will come to San Diego.
- Supported a proposal, which passed the House, to continue the public-private partnerships that have been created to foster tourism and job creation in the United States.
- Introduced the Safe and Secure Border Infrastructure Act, which will improve efficiency and security at our nation’s busiest border crossings
Helping Small Businesses Succeed
By helping small businesses access capital and talent and compete on a level playing field, and decreasing overly burdensome by government regulations, we can help small businesses thrive. Click below to read my full plan.
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) raised awareness for the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), which provides free tax assistance at a number of sites in San Diego. The VITA program is staffed by IRS-certified volunteers and helps working families, the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those with limited English prepare their taxes and determine their eligibility for tax credits, including the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit.
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) offered his support to President Obama and Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julian Castro’s budget request to better address youth and family homelessness across the country.
Affordable higher education has been central to the American story, including my own. To stay competitive in the global war for talent, we need to make it more affordable for qualified students from every community to get a high-quality college education.
Last night, Representative Scott Peters (CA-52) sponsored an amendment to H.R. 3700 that will help get San Diego the resources it needs to fight homelessness. The provision would require the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development to reopen the public comment period on the Continuum of Care funding formula that determines how federal anti-homelessness funds are allocated.
Congressman Ami Bera, M.D. (CA-07) and Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) are leading a group of 29 members of Congress to urge the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to take steps to reduce the sky-rocketing costs of generic prescription drugs.
In a letter to the FDA, they ask the agency to take two common sense steps to address loopholes that limit competition that permits some drug companies to charge exorbitant prices for generic drugs.
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) issued the following statement after hearing President Obama’s 7th and final State of the Union Address at the U.S. Capitol:
“President Obama’s message of national confidence and working together towards a brighter future is much more representative of the American spirit than the defeatist rhetoric that we have heard from so many political candidates.
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52), co-chair of the Congressional Special Operations Forces (SOF) Caucus, announced that San Diegan Joe Musselman, a Navy Special Operations veteran and founder of the Honor Foundation, will be his guest at the State of the Union. The two first met when Rep.
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) helped pass a federal spending plan that boosts investment in areas critical to the San Diego priorities Peters has fought for since being elected to Congress. It increases investment in science, provides tax credits and incentives for private sector investment in clean energy, and responsibly funds wildfire prevention.
– Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) voted in favor of a large tax policy package that reduces the tax burden of tens of millions of Americans. The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015 makes permanent a number of credits that lower Federal Income Tax bills for working families, including the Child Tax Credit, the American Opportunity Tax Credit, and the Earned Income Tax Credit.