Service Academy Nominations
Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies. As your Representative, each year I have the privilege of nominating a limited number of people to four of the five service academies. The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
About the Academies
- United States Naval Academy
Department of the Navy
Annapolis MD 21402
- United States Merchant Marine Academy
Kings Point NY 11024
- United States Air Force Academy
USAF Academy CO 80840-5651
- United States Military Academy
Director of Admissions
606 Thayer Road
West Point NY 10996-9902
Selections are made competitively on the basis of a composite of academic factors and leadership potential, extracurricular activities, physical fitness, and recommendations. The following are included:
- School records, class rank and grade point average.
- Extracurricular activities
- College Board Scores (ACT or SAT)
- Motivation. One of the most important considerations in the selection of nominees is motivation the candidate's desire to attend an academy. It is also the most difficult to measure. To an extent, motivation can be judged by a candidate's diligence in completing his/her file, which is one reason those with incomplete files are not considered for nominations. In addition, candidates are invited but not required to write an essay on their reasons for wanting to attend an academy. The essay is optional, but it could be most helpful to your candidacy.
- The top candidates for each vacancy will receive an invitation to interview, invitations will be sent by email.
For more information, visit our FAQ page.
How to Apply
Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
Please check back for information regarding next year's applications. If you have general questions, please contact my San Diego office at 858-455-5550.