Jobs and the Economy
Representative Scott Peters Working to Spur Growth for San Diego’s Economy
Read my full plan – “Growing the Economy and Creating Jobs in San Diego and Across the Country” – HERE
San Diego, and our country as a whole, is still recovering from one of the toughest recessions in America’s history. Stimulating job creation and economic growth is paramount on our path to recovery. In order to expand economic opportunities for the middle class and plan for a prosperous future, we must bolster the pillars of the San Diego economic engine: innovation and scientific research; the military, defense, and our veterans; and our world-renowned tourism industry.
I. Advancing the Innovation Economy, Scientific Research, & San Diego’s Talent-Rich Environment
San Diego is home to numerous innovative companies and research institutions. We must engage the bevy of talented institutions to drive our economy forward. In 2013, our institutions compiled $785M in National Institutes of Health (NIH) awards, which encompassed nearly one fourth of California’s total. The following has been done to accomplish this goal:
- I hosted successful roundtables and symposia with community and business leaders to discuss how Washington can support San Diego’s Innovation Economy.
- Introduced the Igniting American Research Act which will expand and make permanent the Research and Development Tax Credit. According to the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, the act will generate 150,000 jobs and increase GDP by $66B.
- As a member of the Congressional Caucus on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, I introduced a resolution for one day each year as National Entrepreneur’s Day in memory of San Diego Innovator, Duane Roth.
- Support the repeal of the medical device excise tax, which will aid an industry that employs 3,200 San Diegans and delivers an economic impact of $2.629 billion dollars each year to the economy.
- I was awarded the 2014 Visionary Award by the non-partisan California Healthcare Institute (CHI) for introducing the Health Savings Through Technology Act which will facilitate the incorporation of wireless health technologies into federal health care programs.
- I am leading an initiative to increase NIH funding by nearly $5 billion to reach the level of $35 billion in coming years. Research by the Milken Institute suggests that $1 of NIH funding in biomedical research generates $2.21 in economic output.
II. Ensure Benefits and Growth Opportunities for Military and Veterans
The San Diego region is home to one of the largest concentrations of military force in the entire world. In the region, the military supports 317,000 jobs and $38.7 billion in gross regional product. As a member of the House Armed Services Committee, I advocate for the men and women who serve, and for the 225,000 veterans in the County.
- Introduced the 21st Century Care for Military and Veterans act to expand coverage of telehealth to servicemembers, veterans, and their dependents by including wireless services in the TRICARE and VA health systems.
- Introduced the Department of Defense Energy Security Act which will help the DOD reduce energy use, boost combat effectiveness, and expedite the development of advanced military technologies. The Navy is exploring alternative fuel sources, including biofuels such as algae, and San Diego---a national center for algae research--- is in strong position to benefit.
- Introduced the Veterans Employment Transition Act, which will give employers a tax credit for hiring recently discharged veterans, and will improve job training programs between the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), Department of Defense, and the Department of Labor.
- Voted to enhance VA on-the-job training programs to create an office within the VA focused on vocational and education programs, and to support federal contracting with small businesses that are owned by veterans.
III. Generate Economic Growth by Stimulating Tourism
I understand the importance of the tourism industry to the San Diego economy. Each year, over 33 million people visit our district to enjoy the weather, natural beauty, and abundant local attractions. That’s why I advocate for legislation that will support the flourishing tourism industry which accounts for 158,000 San Diego jobs.
- I supported legislation to expedite the visa interview process which will increase the number of international tourists visiting the United States, many of whom will come to San Diego.
- Supported a proposal, which passed the House, to continue the public-private partnerships that have been created to foster tourism and job creation in the United States.
- Introduced the Safe and Secure Border Infrastructure Act, which will improve efficiency and security at our nation’s busiest border crossings
For more information on my record or ideas on growing the economy and creating jobs, please contact my office HERE or at 202-225-0508. My full plan to create jobs can be read HERE.
More on Jobs and the Economy
Throughout yesterday and into the night, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) championed forward thinking military energy security policies, smart and tough strategies to fight terrorism, and San Diego’s defense priorities during the House Armed Services Committee markup of the ‘National Defense Authorization Act,’ (NDAA), which serves as a roadmap for national defense spending for the 2017 Fiscal Year.
Today, Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) released the following statement to mark ‘Equal Pay Day,’ the date when women’s wages catch up to what men were paid in the previous year. Nationwide, according to the American Association of University Women, women earn only 79 cents to each dollar earned by their male counterparts, and in the 52nd District women earn just 82 cents for every dollar earned by men.
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) released the following statement in celebration of César Chávez Day:
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) helped pass the reauthorization of the Older Americans Act, which funds a number of programs essential to San Diego seniors. This bipartisan victory will increase funding for these programs over three years and give certainty to Serving Seniors, Meals on Wheels of Greater San Diego, the County of San Diego, and others who provide services for San Diego seniors.
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) stood up for sensible immigration reform and against the deportation of undocumented immigrants that have children born in the United States. Rep. Peters opposed an anti-immigrant measure that would seek to undo the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans (DAPA) program. Earlier this month, Peters registered his support of DAPA with the Supreme Court in the case of United States v. Texas.
Yesterday, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) took part in the first hearing of the House Judiciary Committee’s Task Force on Executive Overreach. The Task Force, made up of 12 Republicans and 8 Democrats from the Judiciary Committee, was created by House Republican Leadership to critique the overuse of executive authority. The hearing featured testimony from conservative political scholars as well as attacks on executive actions in many areas where Congress has failed to pass legislation of its own.
Last week, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) gave an address to University of California San Diego (UCSD) students and faculty as part of a speaker series on college affordability hosted by the UCSD Office of External Affairs. During the speech, Congressman Peters announced that he will release an education plan to expand opportunity and drive economic growth in San Diego and across the country.
To read the plan in full, click here.
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) raised awareness for the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), which provides free tax assistance at a number of sites in San Diego. The VITA program is staffed by IRS-certified volunteers and helps working families, the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those with limited English prepare their taxes and determine their eligibility for tax credits, including the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit.
Today, U.S. Congressman Scott Peters (CA-52) offered his support to President Obama and Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julian Castro’s budget request to better address youth and family homelessness across the country.