Congressional App Challenge
The Congressional Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Academic Competition, or the “Congressional App Challenge" is designed to engage student’s creativity and encourage their participation in STEM education fields. Established by Members of the U.S. House of Representatives in 2013, this competition is a nationwide event that allows high school students from across the country to compete by creating and exhibiting their software application, or “app,” for mobile, tablet, or computer devices on a platform of their choice. Throughout the completion period, participating students will be provided opportunities to engage with various STEM educational partners located within the community to mentor and assist them with their app development.
The “House App Contest” is open to all high school students in San Diego. Students entering the competition must submit their app’s source code online during the competition submission period.
Can I Participate?
The Competition is open only to high school (grades 9-12) students who reside in a participating district or who are eligible to attend public high school in that district. Individuals submitting on behalf of teams must meet the eligibility requirements for individual Contestants
How Can I Enter?
To enter, the students can register here: http://www.congressionalappchallenge.us/compete-2016/sign-up/
All entries must be an original in concept, design and execution.
- Check your eligibility
- Register on Challenge.gov
- Make sure you’re on the right challenge page
- Fill out this form with your contact information
- CREATE YOUR APP!
- Submit your app and a demonstration video explaining what it does here: http://www.congressionalappchallenge.us/compete-2016/submit-your-app/
- Fill out the exit questionnaire.
Resources for Students and Teachers
- 36 Resources To Help You Teach Kids Programming
- CodeAcademy.COM self-taught courses in HTML/CSS, Python, Ruby, and PHP
- MIT App Inventor tutorial to develop mobile apps on Android phones.
- Scratch a simple visual programming language
- Alice is used to create 3D animations
- Development Kits: